It took 6 months from date of purchase to complete phase -1 restoration, and had a total expenses of Rs. 8.5 lac including the Jeep’s cost with replacement of all possible parts.
BHPian Rajith recently shared this with other enthusiasts.
Friends, After endless night searches i got a chance of owning one of the last piece of Mahindra Major 4×4.He was found in the ravines of Chambal’s stressed. Carried him back to silicon valley of India on a truck like a caged Tiger!
Below picture was took on 05-01-2021 some where in Madhya Pradesh at a Mahindra ASC to start with.
Please wait to see his work in progress and final roll out picture’s in upcoming posts.
After a four long days of truck transit Major got rolled out at outskirts of Bangalore. Brought him home for a night and next day it was driven to Gods own country Kerala for a complete restoration Phase-1 !
Jeep drove from Bangalore to a local town in Calicut district negotiating highways, Wildlife sanctuaries and Steep Ghats without any fuss.
Observations found during initial ride
- High Steering play
- Both propeller shaft Yoke/Milling and star rattling’s
- Body vibrations
- Hard clutch
- Poor Breaking
- Poor tyres
- Poor Battery
- Hard shocks and list goes on..
Work carried out.
- Got all Silver and Golden parts re plated
- Chassis, Under body and full body repainted
- Front and rear differentials serviced and changed the bearings with other serviceable parts
- Brake Drums, Shoes, Disc and Pads with all 4 shocks changed
- Both propeller shaft got new stars with Yoke+Teeths
- Flywheel ring
- clutch system, top and slave hydraulic assemblies changed
- Dressed with new upholstery
- Soft tops, mats
- Fixed new wiring kit
- Starter & Alternator serviced
- Amaron Battery
- Combination switch
- New steering wheels with Leather wrapping
- 5 new tyres with rims
- 4 OE fenders
- New Registration plates
- All new Light fittings
- New OEM Diesel tank with pipes
- New engine sump
- New Steering box assembly with ends
- All new meters, Mirrors, Charging points, Fresh oils every where, Dash cam etc.
Don’t get scared by seeing the amount of spares removed. Will have a happy ending.
- Head turner with Strong presence on & off road
- Nostalgic feelings
- Got latest spec of DI turbo bolero 4wd
- Hungry engine sound
- Evergreen design
- Ready to conquer look.
- Poor safety for Passengers & luggage’s(When compared to todays standards)
- Easy to steal
- No power steering or doors
- Poor seating position with original seats.
Took 6 months from date of purchase to complete phase -1 restoration, many visits to work shop and had a total expenses of 8.5lac INR including Jeep cost with replacement of all possible parts.
Recently drove him to Wayanad for a spin, as expected he behaved just a like car. 100kmph on Bangalore Mysore express hi-way was a breeze.
Phase-2 to follow
Rolling out at Bangalore after a long haul.
Reached calicut workshop and got stripped.
New Clutch assembly.
Old Clutch assembly
A pic from rear end
Spares to change
Chassis and Engine rejuvenated
Chassis close up
Engine close ups
Continue reading BHPian Rajith’s review on his CL550’s restoration for more insights and information.
Source: Read Full Article