Forget having a bath filled with epsom salts – treat tired muscles with this magnesium-packed post-workout breakfast instead.
When it comes to building and repairing muscle, magnesium is one of the most important nutrients going. As well as fighting inflammation and lowering blood pressure, it helps with protein synthesis, bone health, muscle and nerve function and energy production.
While there are plenty of magnesium bath salts and body sprays designed to help you absorb the mineral topically, a far more delicious and arguably efficient way to support your system is by eating magnesium-rich foods. Here’s an easy egg and plantain muffin recipe that’s perfect as a post-fasted cardio breakfast, a recovery-enabling lunch or a healthy snack. It’s packed with protein, magnesium and fibre to help muscles repair and get you ready to go again.
You may also like
The best sources of magnesium to help support regular exercise
1 tomato (chopped)
1 handful of spinach (chopped)
2 spring onions (chopped)
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Peel and finely slice the plantain length-ways so that you have long, thin strips.
2. Using a cupcake baking tin, place the plantain strips in a circular motion.
3. Crack the eggs, lightly season with salt and pepper and beat.
4. Add the chopped spinach, spring onions and tomatoes into the beaten eggs.
5. Spoon in 2-3 tablespoons of the beaten eggs into the individual plantain-lined cupcake holes.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
Image and recipe courtesy of Nancy Odogwu, founder of Fit Soul Kitchen.
Source: Read Full Article