Exclusive for Mail on Sunday readers: Waltz round Maastricht with violin virtuoso André Rieu
With more than 40 million album sales, André Rieu is one of the world’s biggest classical music stars – and we’re giving you a chance to experience his talent at first hand on a fabulous three- or five-day break.
Every year André, known as the King of Waltz, performs a special series of concerts in Maastricht, his Dutch home town.
Staged in the city’s historic Vrijthof Square, these extraordinary performances include toe-tapping waltzes as well as some of the best-loved melodies from film, opera and musicals.
Extravaganza: On The Mail on Sunday’s three- or five-day break, you’ll see André Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra (pictured) perform in Maastricht
Our unforgettable holiday packages allow you to enjoy the world’s finest music in a relaxing atmosphere.
Fly from an airport near you, or travel by Eurostar, to attend a spectacular, specially themed concert.
Five-day packages include an evening in the company of André and his Johann Strauss Orchestra, choir, soloists and special guests, as well as visits to Amsterdam and to Antwerp, the world’s diamond capital.
REASONS TO BOOK
To get you in the mood, here are some lesser-known facts about the violin virtuoso.
Like father, like son: André’s father was conductor of the MÉastricht Symphony Orchestra and inspired André to learn to play the violin from the age of five.
A very special violin: André’s prized Stradivarius dates from 1667 and he has admitted to keeping the instrument with him at all times. Asked if he slept with it, he famously responded: ‘No, I sleep with my wife, but the violin is in between.’
André’s special concert takes place in Maastricht’s historic Vrijthof Square (above)
ANDRE RIÉU’S GUIDE TO MAASTRICHT
André, the Dutch violin star
The ‘King of Waltz’ shares his tips for visitors to Maastricht, the home town he describes as ‘romantic, unique and enchanting’.
- Try a slice of home-made dessert at a cafe. André says: ‘My favourite is kroonsele met sjoem – gooseberry cake with a kind of whipped cream.’
- Go for a wander around the Fort Sint Pieter. When in need of inspiration, André likes to take a walk around this historic site. Classical superstar or not, it’s a great place to stretch your legs.
- Explore the ancient city walls. Keep an eye out for the park next to the walls, which André says is ‘a lovely place to take a leisurely stroll’.
- Enjoy a meal at André’s favourite Italian restaurant, Il Giardino. His favourite dish is Ossobuco alla Milanese.
Starring role: The musician has guest-starred in Australia’s most iconic television drama, making a cameo appearance on Neighbours in 2015 to celebrate the show’s 30th birthday.
Impressive orchestra: André Rieu established his Johann Strauss Orchestra in 1987 with just 12 members. Today it is the biggest privately owned orchestra in the world, with as many as 60 members on very large stages.
Lofty ambitions: André still has big plans. He wants to perform at the North Pole – and to become the first musician to give a concert on the Moon.
Sporting chance: André performed Shostakovich’s Waltz No 2 at the 1995 Champions League football semi-final, helping to make his name world-famous.
- A ticket to see André Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra, including choir, soloists and special guests, perform live in Vrijthof Square, Maastricht (ticket upgrades available).
- A visit to the city of Maastricht, with its historic heart and charming cafes.
- Trips to Amsterdam and Antwerp on the five-day breaks.
- Two or four nights’ bed- and-breakfast accommodation in a three- or four-star hotel.
- Return travel to the Netherlands by air or Eurostar and coach transfers.
- Services of a tour manager.
HOW TO BOOK
The dates: Selected departures in July 2023. The price: From £665* per person.
Call free on 0808 239 1392, quoting reference André Rieu. To find out more, visit mailtravel.co.uk/andrerieu.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Holidays are operated by Newmarket Holidays, ABTA V7812, ATOL 2325, a company wholly independent of Associated Newspapers Limited and Mail Travel. *From price based on three-day Eurostar package departing on July 7, 2023, from St Pancras International. Prices are based on two people sharing. Single supplement applies. Images used are for illustrative purposes only and may not reflect your actual holiday experience.
Source: Read Full Article