Brit branded living miracle after being mauled by one-tonne bison on road trip

A Brit woman who was tossed 15 feet into the air during a horror attack by a one-tonne bison says she is a living "miracle".

Amelia "Mia" Dean, 19, was just two days into her month-long cross-country road trip with her friend when the beast charged at her while on a hike in South Dakota.

Her father Matthew said they had walked over a hill with their dog, when they noticed the male bison along a Custer State Park trail.

READ MORE Child, 8, attacked by dog and bit to the head outside school – cops launch hunt

But after hiking for nearly two hours, the exhausted pair were drastically running out of supplies and decided to spur on.

"I was really dehydrated, it was really sunny, and we'd both given our water to the dog like an hour ago," Mia recalled.

Her mother Jacqueline Dean told Dakota News Now: "Suddenly the bison looked up. They were over 100 yards away and the bison just ran down the hill at her.

"It came right up and stopped in front of her and then apparently, they had a bit of eye contact for a few seconds."

Mia and the buffalo had come to face to face and were so close she "could have put my hand out on his forehead without properly stretching it out completely fine".

The terrifying animal then pierced its horn all the way through the 19-year-old's thigh and "tossed her in the air".

Mia, who has been hospitalised for around seven weeks, recalled: "I remember feeling the pressure on my hip. My hip being pushed back and I remember the sensation of flying in the air and going head over heels.

  • Stunned fisherman lands 'magnificent' 80kg sea creature – but not everyone is happy

"The bison stuck around and his hooves were right over my head. I remember them being like right by my head."

Her friend managed to get him away from Mia before alerting others for help, reports People.

It has also been reported that Mia has been left paralysed from the knee down in one of her legs following the nightmare ordeal.

Her family said: "We are beyond fortunate that our daughter is still breathing, as she should have bled out in 2-8 minutes after the severed artery and the ambulance didn't arrive for 20 minutes. It is a miracle that she is alive today.

"We have no idea why this happened to our little girl, and simply wish for her to be able to walk and dance again and live her life to the full, without chronic long-term pain."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here .


  • For more of the latest news from the world of the Daily Star, check out our homepage.
  • Huge sharks seen in shallow waters as terrified onlooker screams 'get out' at swimmers

  • Food blogger who ate 'great white shark' on video now being investigated by police

  • French beach-goers filmed panicking after 7 foot shark seen ominously prowling coast

  • Boy, 13, left with ‘blood gushing' out of mangled face after shark savages him

Source: Read Full Article