TikToker shares how to check hotel room for bed bugs
A British family has revealed their holiday nightmare after they were attacked by bed bugs in their hotel rooms while away in Spain. Gary Turner, 57 and Jutta Turner 55, have hit out at travel agency Tui after they were offered derisory compensation following the eight-day ordeal at a four-star Hotel Illa D’OR in Puerto Pollens, Mallorca.
Mr Turner says he suffered an allergic reaction to the bites and was forced to take a trip to the hospital where he was given an emergency shot.
The pair turned to tour operator Tui to complain about the ordeal only to find out they would be offered just 10 percent off one of the two rooms they had booked with their daughters.
The tour operator also offered a 20 percent discount on their next trip, which the couple refused.
They have demanded a full refund of the trip.
Mr Turner told the Olive Press: “We paid for a four-star plus rated hotel, with good reviews and never ever expected to be sleeping with bed bugs for eight nights.
“We never expected to suffer like we did, this is not what we paid for.”
The family travelled to Mallorca in March for a 10-day holiday.
After three days, the pair noticed some bites on their hands and necks but assumed they were from mosquitos.
But one night, after turning their bedroom light on at 3am, they realised their room was infested by bed bugs.
The hotel staff moved the couple to a different room and provided them with bug sprays and medicines for the bites.
But the couple could barely sleep at night because of the itchiness of the bites, and being exposed to the sun flared up the infection.
To make things worse, the medication they were given prevented them from enjoying alcoholic drinks for the rest of their holiday.
Mrs Turner said: “It all left us feeling tired, run down and exhausted. We could not enjoy our holiday at all.”
One of their daughters on holiday with them is immune suppressant due to a kidney transplant.
Mrs Turner added: “The only lucky thing was that our daughters were not in that room, otherwise we could have taken one of them back in a coffin if she had had the same reaction as my husband did.
“She is disabled and immune suppressant due to a kidney transplant.”
‘I was shamed at gym for crop top… she told me to cover up my boobs'[VIDEO]
Deadly shootout erupts as Putin’s forces and Wagner group clash[INSIGHT]
Tax cut hopes given major increase after borrowing gets £13.2bn boost[ANALYSIS]
Mr Turner added: “The whole experience has left us completely exhausted and stressed, due to the lack of sleep caused by constant itching and becoming rather paranoid about checking our bed for bugs in the hotel in the middle of the night.
“We were also worn out by the annoyance and upset caused by the indifference and lack of compensation so far offered by the hotel and Tui.”
A spokesperson for Tui said: “We recognise that some services fell short of our usually high standards.
“We’d like to reassure all customers that we regularly audit all of our hotels in respect to health and safety, including hygiene.
“Whilst the family was offered compensation during their stay, they unfortunately declined.”
The hotel had originally only offered them a boat ride or a spa treatment as compensation.
The Turners asked for two complementary rooms for two weeks in October.
But Hotel Illa D’OR said the Turners’ request was “unreasonable”.
They said: “We want to emphasise that our hotel takes pest control very seriously and we have a company contracted to provide preventative and control services.
“In none of their reports has the presence of bed bugs been detected in our hotel.
“Furthermore, the room in which the guests stayed had been occupied by other guests previously without any complaints of this nature.”
Source: Read Full Article