The news comes after Disney closed its Disneyland resort in California earlier on Thursday. This is in order to protect both the employees and guests at the park.
Disney said that there have been no reported cases of coronavirus at Disneyland Resort.
However, the parks were being shut down in accordance with an executive order from California Governor Gavin Newsom banning large public gatherings.
Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are next door to each other in the Los Angeles suburb of Anaheim.
A Disney spokesperson said: “In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of our theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort,” they said.
The closures will begin at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month.
This will only be the sixth time in history that Disneyland Park has made an unscheduled closure.
The resort says hotels will remain open until Monday so guests can make travel arrangements.
Disney added that its hotels at Disney World and Disneyland Paris will remain open until further notice and that it will pay its cast members during the closure period.
JUST IN: EU demands UK keeps their human rights despite failing own standards
Disney will suspend all new departures with the Disney Cruise Line starting Saturday through the end of the month.
The company urged its domestic employees at Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Television, ESPN and at its direct-to-consumer, parks and products employees to work from home.
Disney has already shuttered theme parks in Shanghai and Hong Kong, which were closed earlier this year because of the outbreak.
Speaking to CNN Business, Trip Miller, a Disney shareholder said: “These parks are iconic brands etched in the culture of America and every childhood.
Coronavirus POLL: Should Boris Johnson have closed schools? VOTE HERE [UPDATE]
Liverpool cancel Barcelona legends match due to coronavirus [INSIGHT]
Premier League matches set to continue as Boris Johnson details plan [ANALYSIS]
“To close assets of this scale around the world would speak to the seldom seen seriousness of this health threat.”
According to a report by AECOM, The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World is the world’s most-visited theme park, with more than 20 million visitors in 2018.
The company has invested billions in its theme park division, opening two new Star Wars lands in Orlando and California last year.
So far, more than 590 people have been tested positive for the coronavirus in the UK.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Thursday that COVID-19 “is the worst public health crisis for a generation”.
The Government’s top scientist also warned that up to 10,000 people in the UK could already be infected.
In its next phase of tackling the coronavirus, the Government has said measures such as closing schools and colleges, and encouraging people to work from home and limiting social interactions could soon be on the horizon.
These measures will all work to halt the spread of the virus.
However, the Prime Minister has said that schools in the UK are not going to be closed at this time as it could only worsen the current situation.
At a press conference alongside the chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty and chief scientific advisor Sir Patrick Vallance, Mr Johnson said: “We are not, repeat not, closing schools now.
“The scientific advice is that this could do more harm than good at this time but of course we are keeping this under review and this again may change as the disease spreads.
“Schools should only be closed if they are specifically told to do so.”
Source: Read Full Article