Family funeral wake descends into mass brawl after chaos erupts at pub

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

A family funeral reportedly descended into a chaotic brawl after a fight broke out at the pub where the wake was being held.

The 60-strong funeral party had been drinking for several hours at the Red Lion pub in Litherland, Liverpool, following the funeral on Thursday (July 14), reports the Liverpool Echo.

An "altercation" broke out between two family members, which led to them being thrown out of the premises in Bridge Road at around 10pm.

READ MORE: Mass brawl in cemetery sees rival funeral directors fight in front of mourners

The fight then spilled into the street outside, with several further brawls breaking out while others tried to calm down the situation.

A police cordon was reportedly set up around the pub, which was recently taken over by new owners after being closed during the pandemic.

The new leaseholder of the pub, who wanted to be known only as "Jordan," said the funeral party was made up of a family who had booked the venue for a wake after the funeral service.

He added: "They wanted somewhere large because of the numbers of people who were attending. Between 10 and 11pm, there was an altercation between two family members which caused a fight inside the pub. They were pushed out by security staff and the fight spilt outside onto the pavement.

"There was a lot of blood. We'd made the pub specially available to accommodate them all, ahead of the full opening of the beer garden on Saturday."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

"We are a community pub which has a good following and I've put in a lot of investment since the pub re-opened to make it a place that's safe for people to visit. We'll now have to step up security."

A nearby resident said: "There were about 30 people outside the pub and some were brawling, while others were trying to break it up. It was a bit chaotic. When the police turned up they all dispersed."

Police confirmed two men were arrested after an assault at the pub, and were both taken to a police station in Merseyside.


  • Coffin ‘dropped to floor’ in fight at funeral so bad The Pope 'couldn't have stopped it'
  • Funeral ends with 'chaos as 30 mourners fight' on street and two cars crash
  • Mass punch-up at gypsy funeral as bloody brawl breaks out at traveller's send-off
  • Queen said 'thank goodness Meghan isn't coming' to Philip's funeral, author claims
  • 31 rotting corpses found inside 'sketchy' and smelly funeral home raided by cops
  • Funerals
  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article