A coroner has ruled that an OAP was killed by snake venom after the victim was found with a reptile wrapped around his arm and with bite marks on his arm and leg.
Australian farmer, Winston William Fish, died at the beginning of the year after being attacked by a 1.4 meter long tiger snake in Tasmania.
The 78-year-old had been bitten on his hand and inner thigh and had been found conscious and battling the snake, holding its head in both his hands, when help arrived.
Despite being flown by helicopter to a hospital in Hobart, Mr Fish sadly died of his injuries following the incident on January 28.
The farmer had been treated with anti-venom, but died from multiple organ failure caused by the snake venom two days after he was attacked by the reptile.
A coroner this week concluded the snake venom had been the cause of the death.
Coroner Olivia McTaggart explained the moment the first witness arrived at the scene after Mr Fish had been attacked while working on his farm – his dog having run off to raise the alarm.
Family's new puppy lucky to be alive after terrifying 6ft python tries to eat it
The Mirror reports she noted the witness: "saw that a snake was latched onto his right hand, with Mr Fish holding its head with both hands to squeeze it.
"She saw that it had wrapped around Mr Fish's right arm up to his neck and its body was moving around. At this time Mr Fish was still conscious."
A neighbour used a knife to decapitate the snake and set Mr Fish free, before emergency services moved in to transport the OAP to a hospital in Hobart where he sadly died.
Cat owner screams in terror after realising feline isn’t playing with ‘rabbit’
Coroner McTaggart also rules she was unable to determine the exact circumstances in which Mr Fish had found himself entwined with the snake, but added that fatalities relating to snake bites are rare.
The coroner went on to assure that the risk of being bitten is low.
Meanwhile, it was reported that Mr Fish's death is only the third known fatality caused by snake bites since 1948.
Source: Read Full Article