Quebec’s health ministry confirmed a ninth case of the novel coronavirus in the province on Wednesday evening.
The province and public health officials are closely monitoring the situation after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the virus a pandemic earlier in the day.
“Since the beginning, Quebec is proactive,” said Quebec Health Minister Danielle McCann, adding the government has taken the necessary measures in the past few days.
As cases of the virus continue to quickly rise across Canada, the province is asking hospital staff to forgo travelling abroad, whether it is for personal or professional reasons.
Dr. Horacio Arruda, director of Quebec’s public health department, is also reminding people who think they may have contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, to contact Info-santé at 811.
People at risk, including the elderly and those who have compromised immune systems, are asked to be prudent.
“We have to be very vigilant,” he said.
While the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise, health officials say the “risk of transmission of the disease in the community remains low.”
Source: Read Full Article