A surfer who died after having his armed ripped off in a shark attack was heard screaming for help, witnesses have said.
The unnamed man believed to be in his 20s, was killed at Australia’s Shelly Beach yesterday, September 5.
Paramedics rushed to the scene and performed CPR but he was pronounced dead, the Daily Mirror reports.
Although the state of New South Wales is currently on lockdown due to covid, people can leave their homes for exercise and many surfers were out yesterday, celebrating Australian Father’s Day.
One witness said they heard “screaming”.
They told the Times: "He was shouting 'Help me, help me'. People were trying to get him out to shore, it didn't look good.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
"A couple of guys on the beach started CPR until paramedics arrived and took over.
"They worked on him for about an hour and a half on the shore trying to resuscitate him."
The attack is Australia's second fatal shark bite this year, after a surfer in his fifties died on the sand at Tuncurry beach in May.
NSW Department of Primary Industries confirmed the shark was a great white after analysing photographs of the bite, according to news.com.au.
Chris Wilson, who works for New South Wales Ambulance, looked visibly upset as he relayed the injuries from the attack to reporters.
He said: "A male in his approximate late 20s, sustained significant injuries to his upper body, which has resulted in major bl — I can't even say that.
"It was a devastating for everybody on the beach this morning."
Aaron Armstrong was surfing at the time of the attack and saw the man being brought out of the water.
"It's quite scary," he told ABC. "You feel for the dude's family."
And Glenn Coleman, a resident, heard the sirens coming down his street.
He said many locals were out surfing for Father's Day. "It's a heavy feeling. It puts a heavy atmosphere over the village."
Australia ranked behind only the US in the number of unprovoked shark encounters with humans in 2019, according to the University of Florida's International Shark Attack File.
Last year was the deadliest since 1929 for shark attacks Down Under, with eight people killed.
Source: Read Full Article