Transgender double rapist who attacked women before transitioning jailed

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A transgender double rapist who raped two women before transitioning has been locked up for 8 years.

    Isla Bryson, 31, was convicted last month of raping two women while she was still a man known as Adam Graham.

    The attacks took place in Clydebank, Glasgow, in 2016 and in Drumchapel, Glasgow, in 2019.

    Today at Scotland's High Court in Edinburgh, Bryson was sentenced to 8 years in prison.

    READ MORE: Missing aristocrat and sex offender boyfriend arrested – but newborn baby still missing

    Prosecutors said Bryson met both of the victims online and that the 31-year-old "preyed" on vulnerable women.

    When the jury at the High Court in Glasgow delivered its guilty verdict, judge Lord Scott told Bryson the crimes were “considerable” and said that “a significant sentence is inevitable”.

    The case has garnered a lot of attention and caused outrage after Bryson was initially put in an all-female jail before being moved to a male facility following the uproar.

    Scotland’s Justice Secretary Keith Brown ordered an urgent review of the case and the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) took the decision to halt the movement of all transgender prisoners with a history of violence against women into the female estate.

    The 31-year-old first appeared in court as Adam Graham in 2019 and was later named in court papers the following year – around the time of the decision to transition – as "Isla Annie Bryson, formerly known as Adam Graham".

    • Nicola Bulley diving expert is 'proud' of work despite being ‘removed from expert list’

    During Bryson's trial the court heard Bryson was going through a marriage breakdown and went to stay with her first victim at the victim’s mother’s house in Clydebank in 2016.

    The 30-year-old victim, who gave evidence on pre-recorded video, said she was raped for 30 minutes.

    “All I said was ‘no’ over and over and over again,” she said.

    “At the time I was so scared. Sick to the stomach. I just didn’t know what was going on.”

    The second victim, who gave evidence via live video-link, told the court Bryson continued to have sex with her after she said "stop".

    Bryson entered the victim with "her penis", the court heard, and was told to stop because Bryson was "crushing" the victim.

    The victim’s police statement said Bryson instead told her to "stay there" because "he (Bryson) wasn’t finished".

    “I said to stop but he (Bryson) just kept on going, and that’s when I just closed my eyes and I am doing what he wanted to do,” the victim told the court.

    Bryson claimed both women consented to having sex when giving evidence in the trial.

    Bryson spoke of identifying as transgender at the age of four but not making the decision to transition until the age of 29.

    The court heard that Bryson was currently taking hormones and seeking surgery to complete gender reassignment.

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Breaking News
    • Crime
    • Courts

    Source: Read Full Article